Full article and link to the consultation portal can be found here – https://consult.education.gov.uk/higher-education/degree-awarding-powers-university-title/
The Department for Education (DfE) have invited views on the proposals for the criteria and processes for degree-awarding powers and university title.
This consultation seeks views on behalf of the Secretary of State and the new Office for Students (OfS) on the proposed new detailed criteria and processes for Degree Awarding Powers (DAPs) and University Title, following the reforms set out in the 2016 white paper “Success as a Knowledge Economy” and the Higher Education and Research Act 2017 (“HERA”).
The responses will inform new guidance to providers which will replace and supersede the currently published guidance.
This consultation sets out the proposals for the different types of DAPs authorisation, eligibility criteria for DAPs and University Title, and the revocation and variation actions the OfS can take.
These reforms are designed to make it simpler and quicker for providers to enter the higher education market, but only if they can demonstrate they have the potential to deliver high-quality provision.
Higher Education and Research Act 2017 (HERA) consultations
This consultation is part of a suite of consultations currently taking place on the implementation of HERA. We would encourage respondents to cross-refer and respond to the related consultations, where relevant. The consultations that form the suite are as follows:
- Securing student success: risk-based regulation for teaching excellence, social mobility and informed choice in higher education
- Simplifying Access to the Market: Degree Awarding Powers and University Title
- Office for Students: registration fees (stage 2)
- Designation of a body for English higher education information
- Designation of a body to perform the assessment functions for higher education in England
Qualifi COO, Ray Brogden encourages all stakeholders to contribute to the consultation.